"From Moshe till Moshe, there arose none like Moshe." (famous Jewish folk saying)

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Tradition, Tradition!

We watched the move, Fiddler on the Roof the other night. We don’t have a TV so we all crowded around my 17” PowerBookG4. It has a DVD player built in. I have always loved this classic. It’s been several years since the last time we watched it. This is the 1st time I think my kids have seen it. It always makes me cry and it always makes me think. I have always identified with Tevya’s struggle to hold firm to tradition. I respect his struggle to create a balance with tradition and the forces of modernity. I get aggravated with the “poetic licence” the writers use when they depicted some of the relationships that develop over the course of the story. They go way over the line. Yet, I realize there are elements of truth to each drama. I marvel at the connection that Tevya has with G-d, always feeling the ability to communicate with his Creator at any moment, about any subject, at any time.

The simplicity of their lives. How they lived with so little and how they were so happy. How they thrived in the face of adversity. How they celebrated and mourned as a community. So much of the Fiddler on the Roof and the lives of those who lived in Anatevka depict a golden time for our people. My imagination wonders what happened to them. What was their fate? What is the color of our generation?

I long for the simple life. I yearn for their strength. I yearn for their courage. I yearn.

Comments:
You and I seek the same thing: simplicity
 
I know my comments are not related to the blob, but hey its great to see someone else who doesbn't have a TV (I have several children and collectively they don't want one) and have to use their laptop to see dvd's.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

  • Free Counters
    Counter